Health and Hygiene: (Maintain good health and stay healthy)
Introduction to Health and Hygiene:
Health is a state of well-being, where every part of the body and mind is in proper functioning and balanced with every other part. In other words, when every organ of the body is normal functioning, then the state of physical well-being is known as health. It has been well said that only that person can be called healthy who has a sound mind and a sound body. Health is the characteristic of life that enables a person to live longer. According to World Health Organization (WHO): “Health is the state of complete physical, mental, spiritual and social well-being and not merely absence of disease”. If a person is disease-free and in a good physical state, but under some stress, tension, anger, greed, etc. Then that person is not to be considered a healthy person. Therefore, in addition to physical health, we must consider mental and emotional health also, only then the spiritual and social health can be achieved and man can step forward for the well-being of society.
Hygiene is defined as the art of preserving and improving good health. The purpose of hygiene is to allow a person to live in a healthy relationship with his/her environment. It deals with both an individual and a community as well. In order to stay healthy one must realize that hygiene plays an important role.
Importance of Health and Hygiene:
Health is freedom from disease and sickness. Health is the primary need for every one of us, Without this, we cannot improve in life. To keep our health well, we must obey the laws of hygiene. We should eat healthy food and a balanced diet. We must follow all the primary conditions for good health Like food, exercise, rest and sleep, neatness and cleanliness, air and light, punctuality, peace of mind. Every day we should do exercise in the morning and evening. We must be regular in all our daily duties. We must keep ourselves and our surroundings neat and clean. We should let fresh air and light come into our houses. We should be punctual in all our duties. Peace of mind is another condition for good health. So, we should not worry about the small things in life. There is an old saying- “Early to bed and early to rise Makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise”. Therefore we should rise early in the morning and sleep in the evening. It is true that health is wealth. It is a matter of regret that most of us do not realize early.
Hygiene is taught to us in class but nobody follows the principle of hygiene. Hence they are falling prey to many kinds of disease. It is hoped that they will soon understand their mistakes and will give up their dirty habits.
Types of Health:
The most important key points of healthy people are exercise, maintain a well balanced and nutritious diet, and a good amount of sleep. Being healthy includes healthy eating, physical fit, weight, and stress management. Good health allows people to live longer.
The four components of health are mental, social, spiritual, and physical. If you want to know more about different types of health, click here.
Types of Hygiene:
Hygiene in everyday life plays an important role in preventing the spread of disease. It includes general home hygiene, health care hygiene or medical hygiene, food and water hygiene, and personal hygiene.
Home hygiene refers to the hygiene practices that prevent the spreading of diseases in the home and everyday situations like public places, the workplace, public transport, etc.
Medical hygiene refers to hygiene practices related to medical care and other administration of medicine. These include isolation of infectious persons to prevent the spread of infection, sterilization of instruments used, safe disposal of medical waste, scrubbing up and handwashing in an operation room, Use of protective clothing like masks, gloves, etc.
Food hygiene refers to hygiene practices related to cooking and food management to prevent food poisoning and food contamination. This hygiene specifies Cleaning of food preparation areas and utensils, Washing of hands before touching uncooked food and before eating food, Not sharing of cutlery when eating, Not using utensils that have been licked, Proper storage, and refrigeration of food, Proper disposal of uneaten food and packing, etc.
Personal hygiene refers to hygiene practices related to the use of instruments used in personal care services. This hygiene includes Cleaning hands and other body parts, sterilization of instruments used in body piercing, tattoo making, hairdressers, etc.
Benefits of good health:
There are several benefits of healthy life, some of these are –
- You can live a happy life without any aches, discomfort, or pain.
- You will be able to perform to the best of your ability in every field of your life.
- You look attractive and feel good about yourself.
- You can lead a physically active life even after growing old.
- Your body becomes free from different diseases and you live a longer life.
- You feel more energetic, fresh, motivated, and face every situation wisely.
- Your mind develops a natural tendency to focus on positive thoughts and ignores negative thoughts.
- Your body and mind become free and you can handle everything with a positive attitude.
- You experience a good sound sleep.
- You will have proper growth and development in terms of heights and weight.
Benefits of hygiene:
- With the kind of health risks that are posed to the human race today, it is very important to stay as hygienic as possible.
- Being unhygienic could repel the lives of others around you like your friends, family, etc.
- Hygiene helps to stop the spread of germs, illness, and disease.
- It reduces the chances of embarrassment at work or at school.
- Maintaining hygiene around you can ensure that your surroundings are free from bacteria and viruses.
Health and Hygiene tips:
Tips to maintain good health:
- Eat a good amount of fruits and vegetables.
- Minimize salt and sugar intake.
- Use plenty of herbs and spices in your diet.
- Exercise regularly.
- Do not smoke or use drugs.
- Drink enough water.
- Do not skip meals.
- Make time for a good, quality sleep.
- Avoid eating fast food or junk food.
- Avoid excess stress and relax.
Tips to maintain Hygiene:
- Brush your teeth twice a day as dental hygiene is very important.
- Wear a mask or scarf while traveling through polluted areas because constant exposure to pollutants can cause respiratory issues.
- Always bathe once or more a day to save your skin from humidity and pollution which can cause skin Infections.
- Wash and wear clean clothes often, do not use the same clothes as they are exposed to pollutants and can cause skin disorders.
- Always keep your genital areas extremely clean.
- Keep your home and surroundings clean.
- Do not throw garbage around, use bins.
- Wash your hands as often as possible.
- Do not spit or urinate in public places.
- Wash your hair with shampoo once a week.
Health and hygiene plays an important role in every individual’s life for a healthy and happy life style. To prevent diseases and disorders one need to have complete knowledge about health and hygiene. Good health can be described as a condition where both our body and mind are functioning properly. Health brings a great improvement in the overall quality of your life. The main reason behind bad health conditions are diseases, mental stress, unhealthy life style, injury, improper diet, lack of hygiene etc. Therefore we can achieve our goals of good health through healthy habits and a healthy lifestyle.
A healthy human being has the following features:
- A clear skin.
- Bright, clear eyes.
- A body neither too fat nor too thin.
- Fresh breath.
- Good appetite.
- Sound sleep.
- Regular activity of bladder and bowels.
- Coordinated body movements.